DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
The Music of Josquin & the
FEAST for St. VALENTINE
with Sean Smith, Lute
Journey back in time & attend one of the famous Courts of Love from the Franco-Flemish Renaissance resplendent with music for lute, Airs de Coeur and chansons including Clement Janequin’s La Guerre. After the judge renders her verdict, celebrate this Feast for St. Valentine with the group’s performance of Orlando di Lasso’s Missa super Mon cœur se recommande à vous (My Heart is Offered Still to You), a parody mass based on his motet of the same name.
SONG of PEACE – this is a free event
A special Taize Service for peace with our host Seventh Avenue Presbyterian Church,
We join our host, Seventh Avenue Presbyterian Church, where we are Artists-in-Residence, for a service of music, meditation & prayer as part of the Song of Peace Project. During March 2008, this project seeks to bring thousands – or even millions – of voices together to proclaim loudly that peace in our world is of fundamental importance. For this service we will perform several Dona Nobis Pacem movements from various Renaissance masses under the baton of our Assistant Director, Katherine McKee.
MUSIC of the LABYRINTH with guest artists Alta Sonora and Dancerie Terpsichore
April 12 – 7:30 PM
- Seventh Avenue Performances, 1329 - 7th Avenue, San Francisco
April 19 – 4:00 PM
- St. John's Presbyterian Church, 2727 College Avenue, Berkeley
We join with Alta Sonora Renaissance Wind Band (Peggy Murray, Director) with the music for Eastertide and the Feast of St. Fulbert des Chartres from the great cathedrals of the Franco-Flemish Renaissance. Dancerie Terpsichore (Aurie Bradley, Director) joins the voices and instruments with dances of the period including a re-creation of the pilota dance of the clerics, that was danced on the labyrinth at the Cathedral at Auxerre. Thomas Crecquillon’s Sancta Maria based on St. Fulbert’s text will be performed along with Guillame Dufay’s Gloria, Missa da pacem by Josquin de Prez & Jean Mouton’s glorious Missa Alleluia.
OPERA EARLY & ANCIENT
- Hildegard Von Bingen's ORDO VIRTUM (Ritual of the Virtues)
August 2 – 7:30 PM
- Seventh Avenue Performances, 1329 - 7th Avenue, San Francisco - CLICK HERE to buy tickets!
August 9 – 8:00 PM
- Old First Concerts, 1751 Sacramento Street, San Francisco - CLICK HERE to buy tickets!
August 10 – 7:30 PM
- Alameda Presbyterian, 2001 Santa Clara, Alameda - CLICK HERE to buy tickets!
August 16 – 7:30 PM
- All Saint's Episcopal, 555 Waverley Street, Palo Alto - CLICK HERE to buy tickets!
August 17 – 4:00 PM
- St. John’s Presbyterian, 2727 College Avenue, Berkeley - CLICK HERE to buy tickets!
Our opera mini-series explores the music of the Middle Ages with the music of Hildgegard. This 11th century visionary nun was nothing less than extraordinary: her many accomplishments include physician, artist, author, herbalist, & composer of this, what is considered by many to be the first opera, The Ritual of the Virtues. For this cross-cultural performance we will be joined by Celtic harper, Diana Rowan & traditional East Indian instrumentalists featuring bansuri master, Deepak Ram.
FEAST for ALL SOULS
November 1 – 7:30 PM
- All Saints Episcopal, 555 Waverley Street, Palo Alto
November 2 – 8:00 PM
- Seventh Avenue Performances, 1329 - 7th Avenue, San FranciscoOur annual Halloween weekend concert this year features the hauntingly beautiful Requiem by Antoine Brumel, one of the earliest extant requiem masses along with Josquin’s Mille regretz & La deploration de la morte de Johannes Ockeghem.